"Why Is My Mac Having Wi-Fi Problems After Updating to Mojave?"

A number of people have reported having Wi-Fi problems after updating to Mojave, and I did myself, with a disturbing lost connection in the middle of a big download. That's something I'm not used to.

What I discovered was that Mojave had re-ordered my Preferred Networks. What really was causing the trouble was that I was now connected to a 2.4GHz network instead of my usual 5GHz. A 2.4 GHz network will often be subject to more interference than 5GHz, so the connection is more likely to fail. And sure enough, when I switched networks, the connection was fine.

If you're having trouble, the first thing to do is check the network you're connected to and switch it manually if it's wrong. You can do this with the Wi-Fi pull-down menu on the menubar (if you have it there) or on the Network panel of System Preferences. It's common for a wireless router to offer both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections, and you want to make sure you're on the one that has worked best for you in the past.

After that, on the System Preferences Network panel, click on Advanced, and you'll see a list of your preferred networks. Move the one you prefer to the top if it's not there already, then click OK. Then there's one more step: At lower right in the Network dialog, click on Apply. If you don't, your changes will be lost.

Hopefully, that will do it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Can I Still Create PostScript Files with Acrobat's Adobe PDF from InDesign in Snow Leopard?"

"How Do I Stop the Clicking Noise from the Hard Drive of My MacBook or Mac Mini?"

"How Do I Make My HP LaserJet 2100 (or 2100M or 2100TN) Work with Snow Leopard?"