"After my update to Big Sur or Monterey, why doesn't Apple Mail still put my deleted email messages in the Trash?"

Because your Trash is not your Trash.

In Apple Mail's sidebar, you likely see a mail folder called Trash in the section On My Mac. This is NOT the Trash used by Apple Mail. It's just a folder called Trash that contains whatever messages the app imported from the Trash in your previous setup. That's instead of moving them to the REAL Trash, where they belong. 

Meanwhile, that REAL Trash, by default, is hidden from you -- along with the Junk folder. Yes, you read that right: Apple hides two folders that are essential to access. Dumb, right? And it's all the more irksome, because a simple Undo command no longer undeletes a message!

To make the REAL Trash visible, hover your cursor over the "Favorites" label in the sidebar, then click on the plus sign that appears. You'll get a dialogue box with a pull-down menu. Select Trash and OK it. Then do the same for Junk.

Your Trash folder, along with Junk, will now appear in the sidebar under Favorites, and your deleted email messages will be waiting snugly inside.

At this point, you can choose to move any messages into the real Trash from the On My Mac Trash, and then just delete that imported folder -- which, by the way, is something you could NOT do with the real Trash.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How Can I Still Create PostScript Files with Acrobat's Adobe PDF from InDesign in Snow Leopard?"

"How Do I Stop the Clicking Noise from the Hard Drive of My MacBook or Mac Mini?"

"How Do I Make My HP LaserJet 2100 (or 2100M or 2100TN) Work with Snow Leopard?"